Firsts Paragraphs ENGLISH 2018

My focus was to find out who the first person to be legally executed
by electric chair was. Before researching the topic I knew a little bit
about it, but both of these sites opened my mind to new knowledge
about my chosen topic that I would never of known before such as
the prison, who came up with the idea and the work that went into
making and testing the chair to see if it was efficient. My 2 sources
were history.com and wikipedia. I was interested in this topic because
i’ve watched a few death row documentaries and it’s fascinating to me
because we don’t have the death penalty so it just shows me another
side to how other countries run their criminal system.


The first source, history.com provided quality and descriptive
information surrounding my question. It indicated to me where
the execution happened, how the chair was manufactured and
details around whose idea it was and the amount of volts used.
The site discussed the actual inmate William Kemmler, who got
sentenced and the reasons behind that.  I learnt the dates of when
Dr ALbert Southwick came up with the idea to when Edwin R Davis
finally made the chair to when it was used for the first time in 1890.
It also taught me that they had to elecucute him twice because
witnesses saw he was still breathing after the first 1000 volts so
they amped it upto 2000 volts and how they were sure he was dead
by the smell of burning flesh. All and all the site was reliable and
informative and I would use it again.


The second source I used was Wikipedia. The site gave me with
illustrative and valuable information around William Kemmler that
gave me even more insight to how the execution happened and the
lead up to it. The site went as far to say his final regards and wishes,
how they were going to induce quick unconsciousness and cardiac
arrest and suprisingling included the fact that they tested it on a horse
the day before. They walked the reader through the timeline of the
event from where he was strapped to the chair with metal restraints
put on his face and a metal lead on his back to where an awful odour
began to permeate the death chamber to the fearful sight of the hair
under and around the electrode singeing. All thing considered Ive
always thought of wikipedia as a dependable source with a worthy
amount of information. Id definitely recommend them over my
previous source.


Overall I would say these sites are more than adequate and supplied
me with very useful information that relate very well with my chosen
question. After gathering all my sources and writing it in bullet points
then into paragraphs it’s clear that one is of higher quality than the
other. I feel as though the Wikipedia had more to offer about his past
before the crime and further description surrounding the murder
and making of the chair.


I think this topic is important because some crimes that are committed
deserve a heavier sentence and could be better than hanging or shooting
them. The invention of the electric chair was definitely a step up from
the hanging of the inmate and either breaking their neck or waiting
for them to suffocate. Something we can all learn from this topic that
relates to the wider world is that in some parts of the world we need
a punishment such as this that does the job in the most humane way
as possible. Due to fact that this is the world we are growing up in
we could all take from this to be grateful to the changes as a population
we have made and to stay out of trouble.




Comments

  1. Hey Zoe,
    Great blog post. Really informative and great information. It really gives detail to who was the first person that was legally executed by the electric chair.
    What gave you the thought of finding out who was the fist person to be executed by the electric chair?
    Byron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback. I was interested by it because of the endless binging of documentaries into Americas most dangerous prisons lol. And how different they are with criminal penalty's than in NZ. SOOOO ye thanks again :)

      Delete
  2. This is great Zoe,I didn't actually know that we didn't have the death sentence in New Zealand so that's cool to know. I wonder how long it took for the first person to actually die considering he had to be electrocuted twice? Either way this is really good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey thanks bro! I read that it took 8 minutes for him to be completely dead yanno just to be sure for the second time it really happened. Thanks for the feedback Jay, so fetch!

      Delete
    2. stop trying to make fetch happen. its not gonna happen!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic work Zoe. Your work made me think about the way that technology has changed punishments in a way I hadn't thought about before. Is the electric chair still used in any part of the world for the death penalty now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss. Um I think a few States still use it an option for the death penalty but as if now most states use lethal injection as a prime option. so um cheers for comment!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

ENGLISH Sewell Peak Experience

9Art - Key Competencies