ENGLISH - The power of friendship

Look again at Miguel's speech in The Freedom Writers.  What does friendship mean to Miguel?

"This summer was the worst summer
in my short 14 years of life.
"It all started with a phone call.
"My mother was crying and begging,
"asking for more time as if she were
gasping for her last breath of air.
"She held me as tight
as she could and cried.
"Her tears hit my shirt like bullets
and told me we were being evicted.
"She kept apologizing to me.
I thought, 'I have no home.
"'I should have asked for something
less expensive at Christmas. '
"On the morning of the eviction,
a hard knock on the door woke me up.
"The sheriff was there to do his job.
"I looked up at the sky,
waiting for something to happen.
"My mother has no family to lean on,
no money coming in.
"Why bother coming to school
or getting good grades if I'm homeless?
"The bus stops in front of the school.
I feel like throwing up.
"I'm wearing clothes from last year,
some old shoes and no new haircut.
"I kept thinking I'd get laughed at.
"Instead, I'm greeted
by a couple of friends
"who were in my English class last year.
"And it hits me, Mrs. Gruwell,
"my crazy English teacher
from last year,
"is the only person
that made me think of hope.
"Talking with friends
about last year's English and our trips,
"I began to feel better.
"I receive my schedule and the first
teacher is Mrs. Gruwell in Room 203.
"I walk into the room and feel as though
"all the problems in life
are not so important anymore.
"I am home. "

Friendship to Miguel

Friendship to him means so much more than meets the surface. His whole world seemed to be coming down and coming to school, to room 203, was a safe place for him and for everyone. Friendship can already boost your happiness, reduce stress levels, improve your self confidence and self worth and just make you feel like you are worth something more than you already were. Friendship for Miguel was the medicine he needed after everything that has happened through everything. Miss Gruwell reaching out and being the hopeful, positive, encouraging teacher just showed him he is capable of something great someday. Even though we don’t get to see Miguel’s story unfold like Ava, Sindy or Ben we still get a perspective of what that character lived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Firsts Paragraphs ENGLISH 2018

ENGLISH Sewell Peak Experience

9Art - Key Competencies